Friday, November 11, 2011

Beer Pong Cupcakes

For real, I promise I have been baking...except rather than taking the time to sit down and write about it, I have been eating my creations and drinking wine.

One of my most favorite things to do (currently, my trends change with the weather) is bake and decorate cupcakes. For a minute I thought that Real Simple was leaps and bounds better than Martha Stewart, alas it was a naive thought.

Regardless, my cupcake decoration is a combination of organic thought and the inspiration from the book Hello, Cupcake!  For manfriend's birthday (age unknown) I wanted to combine my passion with his: cupcakes + beer pong. Ok, so maybe beer pong was his strong suit circa 2006, however we ordered a keg and a flip cup/beer pong tournament was slotted for his birthday party - so it was only appropriate.

After relentless Google and Bing searching, I was left a few ideas but no idea how to go about  the proper execution. Rather than continue dwelling on the unknown, I made up my own way. Here is what I came up with:





The best part is how simple they were to make. Should you decide to make these, here is what you'll need:


- 14 cupcakes baked in white muffin cups, cooled
- One jar of frosting / homemade equivalent
- 6 Lindt Lindor White Chocolate Truffles (found in most grocery stores)
- Gold Sugar - I used Betty Crocker Cupcake Gems 2.2oz
- Blue food coloring or gel
- 14 red keg cups

1. While cupcakes are cooling, beginning to cut the top of the red cups down so they are slightly shorter than a muffin cup. Ideally, the white cup will peak out slightly to imitate the white of a red cup. It might take a few times to get the height right.

2. Once cupcakes have cooled, confirm the height of your cut red cups is correct. Pour the gold sugar in a small bowl.

3. One by one, frost the cupcakes - immediately rolling them in the gold sugar. Be sure to cover the cupcake entirely as the gold replicates the color of beer. Do this for 12 of the 14 cupcakes.


4. Mix 1/2 cup of white frosting with blue food coloring. Ultimately going for a water blue.

5. Frost the remaining two cupcakes with the blue frosting. Place two unwrapped Lindt chocolates on top of each "water cup."

6. Gently place the frosted/rolled cupcakes in your pre-cut red cups. Arrange in two triangles, with the water cups displayed in between. Nestle the remaining Lindt's chocolate in two of the gold sugared cups.

And that's it! It took me about an hour after I had the cupcakes and frosting -- but it depends on how fast you are.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment